Sunday, April 7, 2013

CASSANDRA FARRAR: MY SERENDIPITOUS DISCOVERY

This is my first posting since Oct. of last year. That makes this more of a clog than a blog, doesn't it?

And you'd think that it would've been the new release of the second volume of my novel, XIANNE: A COMEDY OF CULTURES that motivated me to finally break my blogging silence...but you'd be wrong. I certainly intend to blog about Xianne.

But this post isn't about Xianne.

Right now, there is something--someone--that has more-immediately claimed my attention, and tapped into my obsessive compulsion to promote.

You see, what happened was...

A month or so ago, I became aware of Syfy's upcoming new TV series, Defiance. I was intrigued by the premise, as well as the promise that it holds for excellence, due to many of the same players being involved who made the reboot of Battlestar Galactica so successful. I've since learned that Defiance is a Massive-Multiplayer-Online video game, as well--one that directly impacts the television series...and vice-versa.... Groundbreaking and bold, to say the least!

But this post isn't about Defiance.

As the date nears for Defiance's premier (April 15), I've seen more and more advertisements for it, and I've been particularly struck by the song that is being used in these spots. My "research" (Hey, Son, what's that song they're playing?) revealed that it is "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons. This led me to Youtube.

At Youtube, I was, of course, rewarded with myriad choices for this one song. I discovered that in addition to being used to promote Defiance, it was also used to promote the video game Assassin's Creed 3 (apparently due solely to its having the words "flag" and "revolution" in the lyrics--it's much more suited to Defiance). In addition to this, there are countless "cover" versions of the song, but I quickly located the official video and availed myself of the entire performance by Imagine Dragons.... The song was terrific, except for the exaggerated pauses, which I believe are for the sake of the video. The video itself, however, was deliberately ridiculous, but ridiculous none-the-less.

But this post isn't about Imagine Dragons, or even their song "Radioactive".

As I searched for a more satisfying video for the song, I began to view the "cover" performances; whereupon, I was struck by the thumbnail photo of Cassandra Farrar..


This post is about her.


I eagerly clicked on her version of "Radioactive"--after all, she was young and hypnotically-beautiful in that best-of-all real-world way...

I was rewarded for this effort by discovering that she is also incredibly-talented. What she does with just an acoustic guitar and a mere angelic voice is truly an amazing accomplishment! I watched the same video a dozen times....

Then I wanted more. I began viewing her other videos--of which, thankfully, there are many--not only of "cover" performances, but of her own original songs. Videos of her alone, as with "Radioactive", as well as with her band, The Left-Brains. And they are all wonderful.

I cannot recommend this young woman and her music enough. Please check her out--for your own pleasure.

Also, please check out her Facebook page and "like" her there. And, of course, I'd appreciate it if you mentioned that I sent you....

Serendipity is the phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for....

I wasn't seeking for Cassandra Farrar...but how agreeable it is that I found her!

1 comment: