Sunday, September 16, 2012

I Urge You To Open THE GATE!

THE GATE by Jason Brant gets 5 stars from me because my ratings are based on my personal enjoyment of the material at hand, and Jason absolutely delivered for me this time. He seems to have a firm grasp on character interaction; that's for sure! I would be content to read endless volumes of "Bryan" and "Kyle" bantering with each other, even if he had no plot--but plot he does have, and it would be the biggest spoiler of all time if I disclosed exactly how it made the book so enjoyable for me. I can only say that THE GATE isn't what it may at first seem....



How many of us would accept a job working for a television show--including an opportunity to appear in it--even if we felt the stars of the show were complete idiots? Many of us, no doubt. That's just what happens to Bryan and Kyle as they join The Specter Slayers on an outing to investigate the mysterious Danver Church, billed as "one of the most haunted places in America". They are joined on the adventure by best-selling horror author Katie Upshaw (another of Jason's frustrating hotties), and the stage is set for chills and thrills--and laugh-out-loud comedy!--as nothing goes according to plan, and our heroes are forced to wing it through life-threatening weirdness that could only be conceived by Jason Brant.

I, personally, am not that much of a horror and/or supernatural-paranormal fan, but Jason' novella ECHOES introduced me to his writing style--particularly the way he handles characters--and I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and I was rewarded for such wisdom by being greatly entertained by this fast-paced, hard-to-put-down full-length novel.

The characters are well-developed, and highly-entertaining, easily the best part of the book for me. Those of you who like the "dark and scary" will also love the atmosphere of this tale. And if you like monsters...well, you are definitely in for a treat!

My two favorite quotes from the many excellent ones to be found are:

"And now you're telling me that the 'spirit world' smells like shit."

and

"Hey Kyle, do you remember the time I followed you into the woods to fight monsters with nothing but a rock? Oh you don't? That's probably because we're both dead."

A great read. Get THE GATE....

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gate-Jason-Brant/dp/1478384166/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347821333&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=the+gate+bason+brant

6 comments:

  1. Lol, y'all really are a lot alike! Both douches ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please turn off the thing that makes me prove I am not a robot! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOT a robot!? Dang it, I thought I had it set to make you prove you WERE a robot!

      Delete